Central Plantation Crops Research Institute
Established in 1970, Central Plantation Crops Research Institute (CPCRI) was one of the agricultural research institutes in the National Agricultural Research System (NARS) under the Indian Council of Agricultural Research (ICAR). The Institute had the mandate to undertake research on coconut, arecanut, cocoa, cashew, oil palm and spices at the time of establishment.
The research programmes of the institute is organized under five divisions viz. Crop Improvement, Crop Production, Crop Protection, Physiology, Biochemistry and Post Harvest Technology and Social Sciences. The Institute also holds the International Coconut Gene Bank for South Asia at Kidu in Karnataka. The Institute also serves as the headquarter of All India Co-ordinated Research Project (AICRP) on Palms with 13 centres on coconut, 7 centres on oil palm and 2 centres on palmyrah.
- To make India a world leader in the production and productivity of coconut, arecanut and cocoa.
- Harness science and technology to enhance competitiveness in coconut, arecanut and cocoa through generation of appropriate technologies.
- Strengthening the biodiversity and bio-security of mandate crops and their utilization for improving the productivity and income security of coconut, arecanut and cocoa growers.
- Protecting and improving the land, water, microbial and climate resources essential for sustained advances in the productivity, profitability and stability of palm based farming systems.
- Development of appropriate technologies which can help to attract entrepreneurs and can confer the empowerment of small and marginal farmers both in the production and post-harvest technologies, thereby enhancing their income and competitiveness.
- Promote adaptation and mitigation strategies for climate change and to evolve mechanisms for crop and water management.
- Enhancing the income, livelihood, nutrition and health security of farm families through mutually reinforcing package of technologies.
- Promote innovations and improve human resource capacity involving all stakeholders in plantation crops.
- Foster linkages and collaborations with public and private, national and international organizations.
Some of the training programs were:
- Interactive Workshop on Arecanut and Human Health, ICAR-CPCRI, Kasaragod
- Orientation training programme for Skilled Supporting Staff, ICAR-CPCRI, Regional Station, Kayamkulam
- Feed The Future India Triangular Training (FTFITT) programme on " Income Generating Enterprises in Plantation Sector"
CPCRI Consultancy Service
We provide consultancy services on coconut, arecanut and cocoa production, protection and processing technologies as per ICAR guidelines. Major areas of consultancy services provided by us are:
- Nursery management techniques
- Irrigation management
- Fertilizer management
- Organic farming
- Improved palm based cropping systems
- Identification and control of pests and diseases
- Identification of parental lines
- Hybridization / variety development techniques
- Tissue culture techniques for the development of disease free planting material
Head quarters, KASARAGOD (Estd.: 1916)
Phone : 04994-232894
Fax : 04994-232322
e-Mail : email@example.com firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
Regional Station, KAYAMKULAM (Estd.: 1947)
Address: Krishanpuram post, Kayamkulam,
Alappuzha District, Kerala - 690 533
Phone : 0479-2442160/2442104
Fax : 0479-2445733
e-Mail : email@example.com
Regional Station, VITTAL (Estd.: 1956)
Address: Vittal, Dakshina Kannada District - 574 243
Phone : 08255-239222,239238,265289
Fax : 08255-239666
e-Mail : firstname.lastname@example.org
Research Centre, KAHIKUCHI (Estd.: 1958)
Address: Kahikuchi Guwahati, Assam - 781 017
Fax : 0361-2841785
Research Centre, KIDU
Address: Kidu,Nettana ,Dakshina Kanada District- 574 230
Phone/ : 08257-298224
Fax: 08257- 298220
Research Centre, MOHITNAGAR
Address: Mohitnagar ,Jalpaiguri District,
Phone : 03561-250198