Kerala Agricultural University
Kerala University was established on 24th February 1971 based on the recommendation of the Second National Education Commission (1964-66) headed by Dr. D.S. Kothari, the then Chairman of the University Grants Commission. The Kerala Agricultural University is the 15th in the series of the State Agricultural Universities.
After the formation of Kerala Agricultural University, Agricultural College and Research Institute at Vellayani, and the College of Veterinary and Animal Sciences, Mannuthy, were brought under its ambit. In addition, twenty one agricultural and animal husbandry research stations were also transferred to the KAU for taking up research and extension programmes on various crops, animals, birds, etc.
During 2011, Kerala Agricultural University was trifurcated into Kerala Veterinary and Animal Sciences University (KVASU), Kerala University of Fisheries and Ocean Studies (KUFOS) and Kerala Agricultural University (KAU).
Currently, the University has six colleges (three Agriculture, one Agricultural Engineering, one Forestry, one Co-operation Banking & Management), six RARSs, seven KVKs, 15 Research Stations and 16 Research and Extension Units under the faculties of Agriculture, Agricultural Engineering and Forestry. In addition, one Academy on Climate Change Adaptation and one Institute of Agricultural Technology offering M.Sc. (Integrated) Climate Change Adaptation and Diploma in Agricultural Sciences respectively are also functioning in Kerala Agricultural University.
University has many colleges that provide research in Agronomy, Agricultural Entomology, Agricultural Extension, Plant Breeding and Genetics, Plant Pathology, Forest Management & Utilisation, Soil Science and Agricultural Chemistry, Plant Physiology, Home Science(FS&N), Agricultural Statistics, Plant Biotechnology, Olericulture, Processing Technology, Silviculture & Agroforestry, Plantation Crops and Spices, Tree Physiology & Breeding, Wild Life Science, Wood Science.
Goals of Kerala Agricultural University
To provide human resources, skills and technology required for sustainable development of agriculture, including crop production, co-operation, forestry, agricultural engineering, home science and other allied disciplines by integrating education, research and extension.
Objectives of Kerala Agricultural University
- The University focuses its strategy on synergizing multi-disciplinary education and strengthening problem-specific research relevant to the state and help building innovative extension systems for sustainable management of natural resources, sustainable agricultural production and overall improvement of rural livelihoods.
- Provide quality education in Agriculture, Horticulture, Co-operation, Forestry, Agricultural Engineering, Home Science and other allied disciplines.
- Undertake basic, applied and adaptive research to address current and future challenges of farming community and to provide management options relevant to the prevailing agroclimatic and socioeconomic situations.
- Generate appropriate technologies to support sustainable growth of agricultural entrepreneurship and agri-business.
- Develop innovative extension strategies and formulate effective mechanisms for Transfer of Technology to institutions and farmers for enhanced and sustainable agricultural production leading to improved rural livelihoods.
- Locate and protect biodiversity to preserve agro-ecosystem of the state and to document traditional knowledge and technologies.
Academic Programs of Kerala Agricultural University
- B.Sc. (Hons.) Agriculture
- B.Sc. (Hons.) Co-operation and Banking
- B.Sc. (Hons.) Co-operation, Banking & Management
- B.Sc.-M.Sc. (Integrated) Degree
- B.Sc.-M.Sc. (Integrated) Biotechnology
- B.Sc.-M.Sc. (Integrated) Climate Change Adaptation
- Diploma in Agricultural Sciences
- Diploma on Organic Agriculture
- Post Graduate Diploma in Analytical Techniques in Soil Fertility and Crop Production
- Post Graduate Diploma in Solid Waste Management
- M.Sc. Agriculture (Agricultural Economics)
- M.Sc. Agriculture (Agricultural Meteorology)
- M.Sc. Agriculture (Agricultural Microbiology)
- M.Sc. Agriculture (Agricultural Statistics)
- M.Sc. Agriculture (Agronomy)
- M.Sc. Agriculture (Entomology)
- M.Sc. Agriculture (Extension)
- M.Sc. Agriculture (Olericulture)
- M.Sc. Agriculture (Plant Bio-technology)
- M.Sc. Agriculture (Plant Breeding & Genetics)
- M.Sc. Agriculture (Plant Pathology)
- M.Sc. Agriculture (Plant Physiology)
- M.Sc. Agriculture (Plantation Crops & Spices)
- M.Sc. Agriculture (Pomology & Floriculture)
- M.Sc. Agriculture (Processing Technology)
- M.Sc. Agriculture (Seed Science & Technology)
- M.Sc. Agriculture (Soil Science & Agricultural Chemistry)
- M.Sc. Co-operation & Banking (Co-Operative Management)
- M.Sc. Co-operation & Banking (Rural Banking and Finance Management)
- M.Sc. Co-operation & Banking (Rural Marketing Management)
- M.Sc. Home Science (FS & N)
- MBA Agribusiness Management
Faculty of Forestry
- Ph.D. (Agricultural Economics)
- Ph.D. (Agricultural Entomology)
- Ph.D. (Agricultural Extension)
- Ph.D. (Agronomy)
- Ph.D. (Olericulture)
- Ph.D. (Plant Bio-technology)
- Ph.D. (Plant Breeding & Genetics)
- Ph.D. (Plant Pathology)
- Ph.D. (Plant Physiology)
- Ph.D. (Plantation Crops & Spices)
- Ph.D. (Pomology & Floriculture)
- Ph.D. (Processing Technology)
- Ph.D. (Rural Marketing Management)
- Ph.D. (Soil Science & Agricultural Chemistry)
- Ph.D. Home Science (FS & N)
- M.Sc. Forestry (Forest Management and Utilization)
- M.Sc. Forestry (Silviculture and Agroforestry)
- M.Sc. Forestry (Tree Physiology & Breeding)
- M.Sc. Forestry (Wild life Sciences)
- M.Sc. Forestry (Wood Science)
- Ph.D. (Forest Management and Utilization)
- Ph.D. (Silviculture and Agroforestry)
- Ph.D. (Tree Physiology & Breeding)
- Ph.D. (Wildlife Sciences)
- Ph.D. (Wood Science)
- B.Tech. Agricultural Engineering
- B.Tech. Food Engineering
- M.Tech. Agricultural Engineering (Agricultural Processing & Food Engineering)
- M.Tech. Agricultural Engineering (Farm Power & Machinery)
- M.Tech. Agricultural Engineering (Soil and Water Engineering)
- Ph.D. (Agricultural Processing & Food Engineering)
- Ph.D. (Farm Power & Machinery)
- Ph.D. (Soil and Water Engineering)
How to Apply in KAU
The University follows online mode of application only. Students are admitted to the Under Graduate courses of the university on the basis of the ranks obtained in the Common Entrance Examination (CEE) conducted by the Commissioner of Entrance Examinations, Government of Kerala.
Admissions to BSc Co-operation and Banking (C&B) course are made on merit.
For the PG courses, admissions are made on the basis of merit scored in the entrance test conducted by the university.
For the admissions to Ph.D., selections are made by the committee constituted by the University for the purpose on the basis of written test and interview. Ph. D. admissions are on the basis of interview. Application forms for PG courses can be downloaded from this website.
Admissions to all UG courses usually begin in the month of February.
Teaching Campuses of Kerala Agricultural University
Kerala Agricultural University
KAU Main Campus
KAU P.O. Vellanikkara, NH - 47,
Thrissur, Kerala 680656